Whissell was recently awarded the management of the Osoyoos & District Landfill. We are looking for self-motivated team players to become part of our expanding landfill Team!
Whissell is looking for PT and FT Landfill Attendant/Labourer. This position is responsible for the safe, efficient, and effective coordination of traffic and customers at the Landfill (SSL). The Landfill Attendant will follow the established policies and procedures of the WMF and Whissell Contracting in the execution of his/her daily duties.
- Litter picking the entire landfill property and adjacent lands as required
- Ensure Public Drop Off area and Hazardous Household Waste area are running efficiently throughout the day; assist other staff where required
- Ensure the landfill is maintained in a clean, professional manner
- Ensure the facility is operated in accordance with applicable regulations, guidelines and with all required approvals
- Ensure interactions with the public are done in a courteous and professional manner
- Educate customers about the types of waste or recyclables accepted at the different locations within the landfill
- Identify potentially recyclable materials being dropped off and educate customers about recycling opportunities
- Ensure adequate signage and barricades are utilized in order to direct customers to the appropriate locates and warn of potential hazards at the landfill
- Ensure any public or private disposal vehicles are not granted access to the WMF outside of the normal hours of operation
- Snow removal and de-ice areas where foot traffic occurs, including but not limited to, the public drop-off area
- Direct traffic backing up to the public drop-off bins and direct the unloading of solid waste to ensure both occur in a safe and efficient manner
- Visually screen waste loads being dumped for hazardous or unacceptable waste regularly
- Aiding with maintenance and cleaning of the bailer
- Working in a confined space, as well as from heights
- Other miscellaneous duties as required
Skills & Experience
- Previous customer service experience is considered an asset
- Previous cash transaction and reporting experience is considered an asset
- Able to speak, read and write English
- Able to take directions, remain respectful, and operate with integrity to fulfill Landfill operations
- Ability to multi-task and thrive is a fast-paced dynamic work environment
- Good interpersonal skills
- Class 5 Driver’s license is required
- Willing to work in all types of weather
- Capable of handling up to 13.5 kg (30 lbs) for loading/unloading and moving of waste materials
- Previous experience working in a Landfill environment is considered an asset
- Equipment: Must own steel-toe safety boots
What We Offer You:
• Competitive compensation and incentive program
• Excellent Health and Dental benefit plan
• Safety incentive program
• Professional and Career development opportunities
• Strong commitment to safety in the workplace
• Family owned and operated, you are not just a number, you are family
PLEASE NOTE: All Whissell employees are required to pass a Pre-Employment Drug & Alcohol Test and provide a valid Driver’s Abstract (no more than three months old) prior to starting work.
Overtime may be required during peak construction months.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter through indeed on our website whissell.ca. Email Careers@whissell.ca
Whissell Contracting Ltd. would like to thank all applicants for their submissions, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
No agencies please.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: From $17.00 per hour