To support Whissell’s vision, mission, and S.P.I.R.I.T. of values, and recognize that the General Manager has a direct impact on the company’s overall financial success. To oversee the operations of the construction, estimating and project management teams to ensure each are meeting their division objectives to achieve targeted growth and profit goals. The Estimating Manager, Transportation Manager, General Superintendent(s), and Superintendent(s) report directly to this role.
Duties and Required Skills
- Oversee and supervise the activities of the construction operations departments;
- Attend tender review meetings to review scope, productions, construction approach, competitive landscape;
- Attend pre-construction meetings to review project specs, tender and establish construction approach, ensuring the specific needs of the customer are met;
- Review construction methods, scheduling and resource allocation with Operations Manager to ensure on time and on budget completion;
- Review repair schedule and budgets;
- Target new strategic business development opportunities in an effort to diversify and expand operations and profitability;
- Mentor direct reports to ensure they develop skill sets to perform their current and successive roles successfully;
- Build and maintain relationships with existing customers and new customers to foster company growth;
- Ensure the company safety program is effective and being followed by all concerned, conduct regular site inspections to monitor safety compliance and implement change;
- Review all incident investigations and implement changes to prevent reoccurrence;
- Comply with Whissell and local Occupational Health and Safety regulations;
- Monitor employee compliance with OHS rules and standards;
- Maintain and foster a clean and organized work environment.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in roles of increased responsibility in the areas of deep underground utilities or heavy civil construction.
- Degree in Engineering or designation as a CET is considered an asset
- Expert knowledge of construction procedures, equipment utilization, safe work practices;
- Excellent computer skills including email, word and excel;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent management, leadership and supervisory skills;
- Decisive, assertive, proactive, innovative, able to work in a fast-paced environment.
PLEASE NOTE: All Whissell employees are required to pass a Pre-Employment Drug & Alcohol Test and provide a valid Driver’s Abstract (no more than three months old) prior to starting work.
To apply, email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 403.236.8834, Attn: Human Resources.
Whissell Contracting Ltd. would like to thank all applicants for their submissions, however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
No agencies please.